Thursday, July 3, 2008

The GAP Fire

Santa Barbara is in a local state of emergency right now which means we need all the resources we can get to help us fight the GAP Fire. The GAP Fire started on July 1, 2008 at around approximately 5:45 pm. As you all know, we are located in Santa Barbara. The area of Santa Barbara where we are located is keeping a watchful eye on the fire.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff and Fire authorities have issued a MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER FOR THE RESIDENTS IN THE GLEN ANNIE AND LA PATERA CANYONS. An Evacuation WARNING has been issued for residents above Cathedral Oaks Road between Glen Annie Road and Fairview Avenue. An evacuation warning means that residents should be prepared to evacuate.

We at Serah's have not been forced to evacuate yet nor have we been given an evacuation warning. This is the second wildfire I have witnessed in Santa Barbara. Almost a year to this date, Santa Barbara experienced the Zaca Fire. The Zaca Fire was not as close to the cities of Goleta and Santa Barbara as the GAP Fire is. Last night, the power went out around 7:30 pm and we were without power for about 3 - 4 hrs. I rode around town in my car and rode along Cathedral Oaks Road. Traffic lights were out everywhere and the only thing you could see was the lights from other cars and the flashlights of pedestrians. I felt in that moment that's what the Earth must have been like before electricity....so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. As I rode down the road, it was hard to see pedestrians who were not wearing any kind of reflective material or carrying flashlights. As I got further along, I could see glimpses of orange light through the trees. In front of LaPatera Road, I parked my car and watched with other SB residents in utter shock as the fire burned brightly. Further down Cathedral Oaks Road, I saw what appeared to be the 10-30 feet flames that they mentioned on the internet and the news.

All I could do at that moment was pray that the firefighters contained the fire while saving the homes of those who had to evacuate and not suffering any casualties.

Links for GAP Fire Updates:

No comments: