Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 2008

Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
On this day seven years ago, we remember...I remember.


View more photos in my Flickr album by clicking the photo above.

It was a usual day at college for me, sitting in one of my more boring classes thinking about how I couldn't wait to get to my dorm room to watch Young & the Restless while eating Easy Mac followed by a peaceful nap. Then waking up to run off to my favorite class, Theater Appreciation. Suddenly, a break in my daydream came just long enough to hear my teacher say that he was letting us out early. "Finally!" I thought. When I got outside, I noticed that an unusual amount of students were walking around the campus and one girl even walked by me crying.

I saw my friend Sly and as we sat down I asked, "Sly, what are you doing out of class?"

He said, "Someone just flew a plane into the Twin Towers."

I said, "What!? No, why are you really out of class?"

He explained to me that he was telling the truth and as more and more people watched past me crying, I believed him. I ran to my dorm room and turned on the TV to see that this was actually happening. My heart stopped! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. All I could do was call my family that lived in New York to make sure that they were fine. For the rest of the day, of course, nothing was more important.

The following January, I was able to stop by Ground Zero at night where I saw family and friends leaving flowers and notes for their loved ones and again on my recent east coast trip.

No comments: